Report a Watering Violation
|Last digit of address
||Allowed water day
||Tuesday and Saturday
||Wednesday and Sunday
|(with sprinklers or irrigation system)
Effective May 1, 2015, the City of Richardson switched to its Water Conservation Plan. Even-numbered addresses can water with sprinklers or irrigation systems on Tuesdays and Saturdays, and odd –numbered addresses can water with sprinklers or irrigation systems on Wednesdays and Sundays.
More on Richardson's Water Conservation Plan is outlined below:
No watering with sprinklers or irrigation systems between the hours of 10 a.m. - 6 p.m.
Additional provisions under Water Conservation Plan:
Exemptions - The following water usage is allowed during Water Conservation:
- Excessive water runoff from any landscaped area is prohibited.
- Watering during times of precipitation is prohibited.
- Use of poorly maintained sprinkler systems is prohibited.
- Additional watering of landscape and lawns may be provided by hand-held hose with a shutoff nozzle, drip irrigation and soaker hose. These methods of watering can be done any day and at any time.
- The use of drip irrigation systems, soaker hoses and hand-watering with a shutoff nozzle to protect foundations is allowed.
- Public athletic fields may be watered as needed.
- The operation of ornamental fountains is permitted.
- Non-commercial car washing or other motor vehicles can be done only when using a water hose with a shutoff nozzle.
- Newly constructed pools, Jacuzzis and spas may be filled.
- Pools may be drained and refilled as needed (must follow proper water disposal methods).
- Hosing down or power washing sidewalks, driveways, patios, porches, parking areas or other similar paved surfaces is permitted.
- Golf courses may water as needed.
- Smart or ET Irrigation systems may operate as needed. A variance is required to operate smart/ET Irrigation systems.
Inspectors will respond to citizen complaints, which upon receipt will be dispatched to inspectors in the field for investigation/action.
Inspectors will also send notices when evidence of watering during prohibited times/days is observed. The purpose of the notice is to inform the violator that their sprinkler system is very likely operating on an inappropriate day or during an inappropriate time.
A defendant will not be required to appear in court if issued a citation for a first offense. A defendant may instead elect to plead ‘guilty’ or ‘no contest’ and pay a window fine of $150.
If a second (or subsequent) citation is issued or if a citation is written as an “aggravated offense,” the defendant will be required to appear before a municipal court judge.
Reporting Water Abuse
Residents are encouraged to report violations via the MyRichardson mobile application or by calling 972-744-4111.