|Home is where the heart is—it’s also where the bleach, ammonia and paint thinner lie in wait to cause unintended accidents. In fact, most chemical accidents occur in homes. It’s time to get down and dirty with your cleaners and other potentially poisonous concoctions. Properly dispose of what you don’t need and store what you do in a safe, child-proof location. The good news is, with a little planning and knowledge, most home emergencies can be prevented.
|Preparing for a Household Chemical Emergency:
- Read the instructions on chemical containers to help you understand the threats they may pose.
- Always store chemicals in a safe place, out of reach of children, and dispose of them properly.
- Avoid mixing common household chemical products like ammonia and bleach.
- Never smoke while using household chemicals.
- Always use chemicals in well-ventilated areas.
- Program the Poison Control number (800-222-1222) into your phone in case of emergencies.
Last updated: 1/18/2012 8:56:15 AM