Skip to page body Home Residents Businesses Visitors Government Services Departments I Want To...

Information Regarding Applications for Alcoholic Beverage Permit.

The following information is provided for potential applicants seeking to obtain an Alcoholic Beverage Permit:

Effective October 1, 2014, the City of Richardson approved Ordinance No. 4072 establishing that the City fee (one half of the state fee) is due upon establishment or renewal of the state fee.  All City fees will be collected in accordance with the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Code, Section 11.38.   See attached Fee Schedule for appropriate fees due.

1.  A fully completed TABC application must be submitted to the City Secretary.

2.  The appropriate City fees will be collected upon approval of the permit.

3.  Applicants must complete and sign an Alcoholic Beverage Permit Application, supplied by the City Secretary, indicating the location of the establishment and whether the establishment will be for On-Premise or Off-Premise consumption.  


4.  A Special Permit (rezoning) will be required if either of these conditions exists:
      a.  Provide drive-up, drive-in or drive-thru service 
  b.  Derive more than 75% of its gross revenue from the sale of beer and/or wine. 

A Special Permit (rezoning) must be approved by the Richardson City Council. This type of request requires approximately 10 weeks to complete and is processed by the Department of Development Services. In addition, an establishment that derives more than 75% of its gross revenue from the sale of beer and/or wine is subject to additional distance requirements as established by Ordinance No. 3581.

5.  Applications which are not subject to the criteria in 4a or 4b above are required to meet the following minimum distance requirements:
      a.  300 feet from a religious institution (measured front door to front door) 
  b.  300 feet from a public hospital (measured front door to front door) 
  c.  300 feet from a public or private school (measured property line to property line) 


6.  The sale of beer and wine is limited to specific non-residential zoning districts in Richardson. These zoning districts include the LR-M(1) and LR-M(2) Local Retail Districts, the C-M Commercial Districts and certain PD Planned Development Districts permitting retail and commercial uses. 

7.  The City will make every effort to process applications in a timely manner.  Please allow 3-5 days for a response.

To review the City's Code regarding Alcohol, please refer to Part II, Chapter 4 of the City of Richardson Code of Ordinances.

Questions regarding the City's application process should be directed to the City Secretary's Office at 972-744-4290. Questions regarding zoning or the Special Permit process should be directed to the Department of Development Services at 972-744-4240.

General questions regarding the sale of beer and wine should be directed to the local office of the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission at 817-652-5912 or visit their web site at

Last updated: 6/16/2017 8:04:59 AM