If you are charged with a driving offense, you may be eligible to take an approved driving safety course. If approved, the citation will be dismissed upon satisfactory completion of all conditions imposed.
DO NOT TAKE A DRIVING SAFETY COURSE WITHOUT FIRST OBTAINING PERMISSION FROM THE COURT.
To be Eligible to Take a Driving Safety Course for Ticket Dismissal, You Must:
- Make your request in writing on or before the appearance date on your citation in person or by certified mail. Go to the Download Forms page for the Application for Driver Safety Course.
- Enter a plea of Guilty or No Contest.
- Have a valid Texas Driver's license or permit.
- Have proof of financial responsibility (Insurance).
- Not have taken a driving safety course for ticket dismissal within the past twelve (12) months prior to the date of your offense.
- Sign an affidavit stating you have not taken a driving safety course in the last twelve (12) months.
- Pay court costs and administrative fee of:
- $105 (or $130 for a school zone offense)
You are NOT Eligible if:
- You hold a Commercial Driver’s License.
- You were charged with speeding 25 miles per hour or more over the speed limit or traveling at a speed greater than or equal to 95 miles per hour.
- You were charged with a violating one of the following sections of the Transportation Code (TRC) of the State of Texas:
- TRC Sec. 472.022 - Construction or maintenance work zone when workers are present
- TRC Sec. 545.066 - Passing a school bus
- TRC Sec. 545.401 - Reckless driving
- TRC Sec. 545.421 - Fleeing or attempting to elude Police Officers
- TRC Sec. 550.022 - Accident involving damage to a vehicle
- TRC Sec. 550.023 - Duty to give information and render aid
- TRC Sec. 522.003 - Serious traffic violations
Once You Have Obtained Approval and Paid your Fees, You MUST:
- Take a state approved driving safety course and return all documentation listed below within 90 days.
- Obtain a certified copy of your driving record from the Texas Department of Public Safety in Austin. You may pick up a form at the court or download a form here (Driving Record Request Form).
- Submit to the Court by your 90 day deadline:
- A certificate of completion from a state approved driving safety course.
- A certified copy of your driving record from the Texas Department of Public Safety.
NO EXTENSIONS TO COMPLETE THE COURSE WILL BE GIVEN.
Where can you Take a Driving Safety Course?
The driving safety course must be approved by the Texas Education Agency (TEA). The Court cannot recommend a driving safety school. The yellow pages of your local phone directory usually contain a list of state approved driving safety schools.