1260 Columbia Dr
Main Number: 972-744-4111
General Information about Brush and Bulky Items
Brush and Bulky Item Collection (BABIC) is a service offered to Richardson residents at no additional charge. The service is designed to help residents dispose of large amounts of brush or oversized items like unwanted appliances or furniture that cannot be placed out for regular trash collection.
Note: When disposing of brush and bulky items simultaneously, it is highly encouraged that the resident keep those two piles separate so that the brush can be composted.
Three Ways to Request a Brush or Bulky Item Collection
City code requires residents to request brush or bulky item collection service prior to placing an item on the parkway for collection.
- Call the Response Center line (972) 744-4111 and use prompt 1
- Call the Response Center line (972) 744-4111 and press 7 to speak to an attendant
- Or fill out an Online Request
Residents are required to set out brush or bulky items for collection in the front on the grassy area between the sidewalk and the street. If it is a corner house, you may set the items out on the grassy area (the parkway) on the side street. If you are on a corner house, please ensure you make it known what street you are leaving the debris on and keep it clear for our trucks to access.
Set Out Time
In order to help keep neighborhood streets attractive and to significantly reduce the amount of time brush and bulky items remain on our parkways; City code requires residents to request brush or bulky item collection service prior to placing an item on the parkway for collection. The request MUST be made by midnight the night before the designated collection day.
Collection Day Map
Richardson resident’s brush or bulky item collection day is the same as your recycle day. See map below.
Items that CAN be collected as BABIC
- Brush, Tree Trunk, and other Green Waste up to 6 feet long & 2 feet in diameter
- Garage Cleanups
- Wood Fences (without concrete or metal hardware including nails)
- Mattress and Box Spring
- Ovens/Stoves/Hot Water Heaters
- Television & Computer Monitors
- Lawn Mowers (without fuel in it)
- Cacti (must be boxed - up to 25lbs. per box)
- Scrap Metal (bicycles, swing set, etc. - when separated from brush pile)
Drop off Center
You may also drop-off your regular trash at the following location:
NTMWD Lookout Transfer Station
1601 E. Lookout Drive
Richardson, TX 75082
Note - Brush must be taken to the Custer Transfer Station at 9901 Custer Rd. Plano, TX
Items that CANNOT be collected as BABIC
The items above cannot be collected by City crews. and should be taken to:
- Buildings or Building Attachments
- Concrete/Rocks/Bricks/Railroad ties
- Concrete on Fence Poles
- Construction Debris (including interior/exterior demolition)
- Compress Gas/Air Cylinders
- Vehicle Parts
- Any Type of Remodeling to a House (sheet rock, cabinets of any kind, bath tile, ceramic tile)
- Material Not Originating from Resident
- Wood or Asphalt Roof Shingle
- Window or Window Frame
- Hazardous Waste Like Paint, Oil, Pesticides, Solvents, Liquids
- Tires (most tire stores will dispose of tires for a small fee)
- North Texas Municipal Water District Landfill
121 Regional Disposal Facility
3820 Sam Rayburn Highway
Melissa, Texas 75454
(972) 442-5405 - ask to be transferred to the Melissa Landfill.
Hazardous Waste (paint, oil, pesticides, solvents, liquids) must be taken to the Home Chemical Collection Center:
- Home Chemical Collection Center
11234 N. Plano Road
Dallas, TX 75243
This requirement will be actively enforced by both Neighborhood Services and Solid Waste staff.
A resident who places an item on the parkway for brush or bulky item collection but fails to request collection service will receive a warning for the first violation and a citation for each subsequent violation. The item may be collected as a courtesy, but a warning or citation will follow.
If you are interested in having your small twigs, grass clippings, and/or leaves composted, you may bag these in compostable bags and place them in the front on the parkway and request a Brush or Bulky Item Collection. Compostable bags may be purchased at retail locations such as Lowe's, Wal-Mart and Home Depot.