We are now accepting applications for the 2016 Citizen Police Academy.
Application deadline: December 14, 2015
The academy begins February 02, 2016
The Citizen Police Academy (CPA) is a 45-hour academic course designed to give Richardson citizens a working knowledge of the Richardson Police Department. Classes are designed to be interactive and fun with an emphasis on team building. During this time, students will participate in a mock SWAT raid, test their skills on the Department’s driving course and have the opportunity to fire police weapons. The goal of the CPA is to strengthen the partnership that has been forged between the police and the community which it serves. It allows citizens a view of the inner workings of the Police Department, in an academic environment where ideas are openly exchanged in an effort to increase community solidarity. It provides the Department an opportunity to be more aware of individual concerns and perceptions so we may be more responsive to future community needs. For further information or if you have questions, please contact Gayle Copening in the Crime Prevention Unit at 972-744-4953.
* CPA is restricted to those individuals who live or work in the City of Richardson
Learn about our Youth Citizen Police Academy.
| CPA Overview
- Minimum 21 years old
- 16 week academy— beginning the first Tuesday of February
- Class times-6:30PM—9:30PM
- No cost to participants
- Academy class size limited to 20 participants
- Only one academy per year
- Requires one Saturday class for the ever popular Drive-n-Shoot
- Graduation ceremony held during the final week
- Individuals not selected will need to submit a new application for consideration in a future academy
- Dinner is provided by the police department and is served from 6:00pm-6:30pm.
| Additional Topics Covered
- Departmental Philosophy
- Criminal Investigations
Last updated: 10/14/2015 10:06:39 AM