The Irrigation Plans as well as the Completion Letter (see sample) must be onsite and match the system installed.
Inspections must be called in to the automated Inspection request line at (972) 744-4181. The inspection codes are as follows: Double Check Inspection is 366 and Yard Line Inspection is 782.
- The Irrigation plans are to be drawn to scale and must include but not be limited to
- Irrigator’s seal, signature and date of signing.
- Major physical features and boundaries of the areas to be irrigated.
- A north arrow.
- A legend.
- Zone flow measurement for each zone.
- Location and type of controllers and sensors. (Rain/freeze sensor is the minimum requirement).
- Location, type, and size of water sources, backflow prevention device, water emission device,
valve, pressure regulation component, and main line and lateral piping.
- Scale used.
- Design pressure.
- The trenches must be a minimum of 6" deep.
- Use proper wire type & size. All splices shall be water-proofed where exposed to moisture.
- Underground connections to components of system must have minimum of 6” select backfill.
- Purple primer required on all PVC pipe and fittings in accordance with Uniform and International Plumbing Codes.
- Spray heads are prohibited in turf/landscape areas less than 48”. Such areas shall be designed with drip irrigation and/or pressure compensating tubing and indicate if tubing has root inhibitor or not. If tubing has root inhibitor, an RPZ with a hot box 12” above ground is required.
- A final walk-through with Irrigation System Owner or Owner’s Representative is required to explain the operation of the system.
- Place a permanent sticker on the Controller which contains the Irrigator’s name, license number, Company name, telephone number and the dates of the warranty period.
- The property owner must be provided with a Maintenance Check List which shall include but not be limited to:
- The manufacturer’s manual for the automatic controller, if the system is automatic.
- A seasonal (spring, summer, fall, winter) watering schedule based on either current/real time evapotranspiration or monthly historical reference evapotranspiration (historical ET) data, monthly effective rainfall estimates, plant landscape coefficient factors, and site factors.
- A list of components, such as the nozzle or pump filters, and other such components that require maintenance and the recommended frequency for the service.
- The irrigation plan indicating the actual installation of the system.
- A copy of the Completion/Compliance Letter.
No filling of swimming pools or decorative fountains allowed. Hose bibs must be installed with quick disconnects and labeled “Non Potable, Not safe for drinking”, if installed. Master valves must be downstream of Backflow Preventers if used.
SEE THE EXCEPTION BELOW WHEN HOMEOWNER IS INSTALLING LAWN IRRIGATION SYSTEM.
A homeowner who is performing the work and if the property is his/her homestead, does not require a license per the Texas Occupations Code, Title 12, Subchapter C 344.30 (h). Please refer to the TCEQ website at http://www.tceq.state.tx.us/ to see the Texas Occupations Code in full.
The homeowner is required to obtain a permit and the permit fees are the same as listed for an Irrigator. The homeowner is required to contract with a Certified Backflow Tester unless he/she is appropriately licensed.
Otherwise the requirements are the same for the homeowner as the Licensed Irrigator.
IRRIGATION WATER METER REQUIREMENTS
A permit for an irrigation system must be issued by Community Services before making application for a tandem (irrigation) meter with the Water Customer Service Department.
The inspection requirements are the same as outlined above for new installations.
Existing systems – The backflow prevention device shall be on private property, tested and certified. An approved method shall be used for capping the existing connection. The new service line from the meter loop connection to the backflow preventer must be left uncovered for city inspection. An isolation valve, y-type strainer, and a rain/freeze sensor are also required to be installed.
The irrigation meter shall be used for lawn irrigation only.