Unnecessary idling introduces harmful pollutants into the air and increases fuel comsuption. The City of Richardson, through the authority of the Texas Clean Air Act, has created an ordinance to regulate large vehicle idling within the City. The Texas Clean Air Act is available here and the City's ordinance over large vehicle idling is available here.
To see what vehicle idling initiatives the North Central Texas Council of Governments (NCTCOG) administers, visit the NCTCOG's Idling Reductiong website by clicking here.
| Texas Clean Air Act: Motor Vehicle Idling Requirements
- No vehicle shall be allowed to idle for more than five (5) consecutive minutes when the motor vehicle is not in motion during the period of April 1 through October 31 of each calendar year.
- Vehicles exempt from this idling restriction are:
- Motor vehicles with gross vehicle weight ratings of 14,000 pounds or less that do not have a sleeper berth;
- Motor vehicles with a gross vehicle weight rating of 14,000 pounds or less, after Septermber 1, 2009;
- Motor vehicles forced to remain motionless because of traffic conditions over which the operator has no control