January 2013, construction crews began demolition work on four houses at property on Weatherred Drive that will become Richardson’s newest park this spring/summer.
Construction of the $1.5 million Durham Park, which is funded through the 2010 Bond Program, is expected to be complete in May. The new park will be located on four contiguous lots from 400 to 406 S. Weatherred Dr. and will include a playground, pavilion, plaza, open play lawn and butterfly garden. Some of the features will include bricks from the four houses that are being demolished to make room for the park.
Durham Park is named in honor of W.R. Durham and his daughter, Jessie. W.R. Durham began operating a farm in 1910 in the area that contains the park, and Jessie Durham inherited the farm house when her father died. She also operated a shop on Main Street, where she started the first library in Richardson in the back of her store.